COLUMBIA, Mo. – University of Missouri baseball scored eight times in the third inning to rally from a six-run deficit and take the series with a 10-6 win over Kentucky on Saturday afternoon at Taylor Stadium.
Sophomore Ross Lovich started the Tigers’ eight-run third with a walk and capped it with a two-run single as part of his 2-for-3, three-RBI day. Torin Montgomery added a 2-for-3 afternoon with a pair of RBI while Luke Mann also drove in two runs to help Mizzou (21-12, 5-10 SEC) pick up a crucial series win.
On the mound, Carter Rustad (3-1) dazzled out of the bullpen with a season-long 4.2 innings of work. The right-hander shut down the Kentucky (21-15, 5-10 SEC) bats after the ‘Cats jumped to the 6-0 lead. Rustad struck out five and walked just two while surrendering three hits to pick up the win.
Trailing 6-0, Mizzou sent 13 men to the plate in an eight-run third inning to stun the Wildcats. A Lovich walk and Josh Day hit-by-pitch put two aboard for Trevor Austin who laid down a bunt single to load the bases. Mann opened the scoring with a two-run single a batter later to cut the deficit to 6-2. A wild pitch moved two Tigers into scoring position for Montgomery who singled up the middle to make it 6-4.
Singles from Fox Leum and Nander De Sedas reset the table with bases loaded and one out. Ty Wilmsmeyer followed with an RBI walk before Lovich delivered a two-run single through the right side to put Mizzou in front 7-6. A double steal by Lovich and Wilmsmeyer capped the scoring and gave the Tigers all they would need to take the rubber game.
— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) April 16, 2022
Carter Rustad: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K
Ross Lovich: 2-for-3, 3 RBI, R
Torin Montgomery: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, R
IN THE NOTES
- Mizzou’s eight-run third inning marked the second time this season the Tigers scored eight in a frame. The previous occurrence came March 15 against Saint Louis.
- Ian Lohse worked a clean 1.1 innings to close the game. He struck out a pair without allowing a baserunner.
- Fox Leum stayed hot with a 2-for-3 day at the plate and two runs scored. The designated hitter has a knock in four-straight games.
- The six-run deficit is the largest comeback for the Tigers since overcoming a 7-0 deficit at Tennessee on May 5, 2019.
- Montgomery recorded his eighth multi-RBI game to move into the team lead.
FROM THE SKIP
Coach Bieser on coming back from the 6-0 deficit…
“What a great team effort. I mean, you felt it early on that the guys weren’t going to quit and I knew if we could just continue up with some quality at-bats that we’d have a chance to get ourselves back in this ball game and that’s exactly what they did today.”
Mizzou hosts Missouri State on Tuesday night at Taylor Stadium. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. on SEC Network +.
FOLLOW THE TIGERS