Mississippi Nowadays is seeking an seasoned reporter to be part of our wellness team.
The Group Wellness Reporter will be a cornerstone member of our wellbeing team. Launched earlier this calendar year, the group serves Mississippians with obtain to knowledge, truth-finding and dissemination of in-depth and explainer community well being journalism. This group reports on how the well being care process performs, and in quite a few scenarios does not, for Mississippians. We dig deep on how health and fitness treatment companies, hospitals, insurers, governments and buyers are interconnected and impacted, with an eye for equity and access. Our readership consists of believed leaders and day to day Mississippians who need exact and simple-to-recognize facts on public wellbeing issues.
The excellent journalist will be an individual with reporting knowledge who understands the wellness treatment considerations of rural and suburban Mississippians alike. This applicant will serve on a 4-particular person workforce — including an editor, two reporters and a photojournalist — to aim on each day/breaking information stories as nicely as deeper-dive investigative capabilities, to explore our state’s complicated public health framework and carry some substantially-wanted transparency to its processes.
Mississippi is a gold mine for eager journalists. In this posture, you will journey the point out and meet up with a numerous vary of citizens. Concerning the state’s abortion ban that in the long run led the best court in the country to strike down Roe v. Wade, a huge insurance coverage dispute amongst the state’s largest medical center and largest insurer, an ongoing political fight in excess of Medicaid expansion, and the state’s extended-standing, inadequate community overall health results, the tales to be told listed here are limitless.
- Operate with a smaller crew of journalists who are focused solely on wellbeing in Mississippi.
- Build your individual wellbeing story strategies as effectively as collaborate intently with a little workforce of like-minded journalists
- Get persons to discuss, locating inclined resources and safeguard them when telling delicate and well timed tales
- Create rely on: Many folks who have been impacted by lousy wellbeing expert services in Mississippi have been victims of predatory steps from other journalists or media outlets. This will involve empathy, patience and savvy.
- Do the job with our Viewers Staff and data and visual journalists to produce powerful story displays.
It is a as well as if you have:
- Mississippi reporting knowledge.
- Expertise crafting a mix of both equally longform stories and investigations.
- A demonstrated skill to work speedily underneath restricted deadlines.
- A information and comprehension of nonprofit journalism.
- Working experience working in a collaborative newsroom environment.
What you’ll get:
- The opportunity to work along with award-winning journalists and make sizeable contributions to Mississippi’s only thoroughly staffed, nonprofit, nonpartisan electronic information and information and facts source.
- Remarkably aggressive salary with health care insurance plan, and possibilities for vision and dental insurance.
- Cell phone stipend.
- 29 days compensated time off.
- Up to 12 weeks of parental family leave, with return-to-work overall flexibility.
- Simple IRA with 3 p.c enterprise matching. Team-phrase lifestyle coverage delivered to workforce ($15,000 coverage).
- Support for professional coaching and attending sector conferences.
How to Apply:
We’re committed to making an inclusive newsroom that signifies the folks and communities we serve. We especially stimulate customers of customarily underrepresented communities to apply for this placement, which includes women, persons of color, LGBTQ men and women and persons who are in a different way abled.